- Sondra Horton Fraleigh (1987). Dance and the Lived Body: A Descriptive Aesthetics. University of Pittsburgh Pre. p. 49. "Dance is human movement created and expressed for an aesthetic purpose."
- Joann Kealinohomoku (1970). Copeland, Roger; Cohen, Marshall (eds.). An Anthropologist Looks at Ballet as a Form of Ethnic Dance (PDF). What is Dance? Readings in Theory and Criticism (1983 ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Nathaniel Emerson, The Myth of Pele and Hi'iaka. This book includes the original Hawaiian of the Pele and Hi'iaka myth and as such provides an invaluable resource for language students and others.
- Schiffer, T., Kleinert, J., Sperlich, B., Schulte, S., & Strüder, H. K. (2009). Effects of aerobic dance and fitness programme on physiological and psychological performance in men and women. International Journal of Fitness, 5(2).
- Angioi, M., Metsios, G. S., Koutedakis, Y., & Wyon, M. A. (2009). Fitness in contemporary dance: a systematic review. Int J Sports Med.